Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I had twenty minutes to myself in town this Saturday and, having charged up the City Library's central staircase, I was saved in some way by this mad proud pink creature atop the giant, dogged bumble-bee.
This is one of about a dozen paintings by Victorian artist Matthew Clarke that comprise his self-funded solo show, Matthew Does Art. It ends this Friday, and I think it's worth a look. The compositions and colours are really, really, really great and I love all the funny faces - I suppose I should be content to just admire Clarke's pictures but I really want to keep one.

Any of the pieces would have a pretty demanding presence in one's home - it would be like inviting a very noisy friend (and their pet elephant) to stay indefinitely.

3 comments:

  1. I was at meeting at city library all sunday afternoon and had to walk by these paintings to go to the loo
    absolutely want one as well!
    they are fabulous
    was thinking the tiger
    hmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pen! Do it, please - I would consider it to be a very reasonable outcome if you had one and I could visit it. Actually, they made me think of you and that little image of yours in the stairwell (the two block heads) that I love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are like the cat people!
    hmmmm........ temptress......

    ReplyDelete